Friday, July 8, 2011

Math Master

I was just sitting here thinking of ways to help my students memorize and understand their basic addition facts up to 9 when I remembered the game around the world. When 'I was in 3rd grade my teacher had fish all around her room numbered 1-10 and 10 would lead to the ocean she had put on the wall. Each student had a small fish with our names on it. In order to move our fish we had to complete a timed worksheet covering multiples of one number and if we made 100% we would move our fish to the next number. We were always asking for her to test us so we could move our fish. If your fish sucessfully got past 10 into the ocean you received a certiciate and multiplication pencil and when other students were tested you got to do free centers. Obviously you can tell that I loved that activity and was one of the students in the ocean!

Well last year our school tried implementing something similar called Math Masters. It was basically the same thing but required lots of paper and wasn't exciting for the kids. So with that in mind I have decided to combine the two lessons and use it in my room this year. We will focus on addition facts at the beginning and move to multiplication at the end. My materials are based on my theme which is a beach theme and will be posted around my room for my students to access and see clearly. Thebeach ballas are the numbers were covering and the sandals represent my students. I hope you guys can use these in your clasroom. If you have any questions or want to tell me what you guys do I would love to hear from you.

Mrs. Shepherd

Math Masters Set

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I do have an ocean/fish theme so if you feel like making another theme, i'd LOVE it...

    ReplyDelete